Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Granted that I'm a middle-aged, overweight, white guy, I like term

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I prefer the term "American".

I'm akin to a 70s Liberal - where overuse of labels does more harm than good, and if people truly paid attention they would see the whole range of issues (positive and negative) regarding all nuances and aspects, but most people won't be bothered... much fun...

That's also the decade when "All in the Family" was popular, which is a show all millennials should watch - at least the first four reasons - because they'd be shocked (to the point of heart attack or stroke) at what is said by characters and believe it or not I'm not referring to Archie, who is as predictable as a diurnal cycle and as such wouldn't induce an ingrown toenail as a result of his histrionics...

That and it was the 1970s, those liberals may have been wrong otherwise later decades might have transpired differently...

Democratic Warrior Crazy Guggenheim's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,905 Times in 2,992 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Icky Click here to enlarge
    How about "Euro-trash Americans" Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FuzzySlippers Click here to enlarge
    How about Avian-American?
    WTH is that? Something that flies?

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kbob Click here to enlarge
    It's worth noting that the "C" in NAACP is "Colored." And the "N" in UNCF is "Negro." Sometimes, a term of race just isn't offensive so much as archaic.

Being half-Chinese, I've been asked what is more "appropriate," being called "Asian" or "Oriental." Like Kynd, in the long run, I usually don't give a hoo-ha. Call me by my name.

But sometimes people like to press the point, so... fine. To me "Oriental" is archaic and "Asian" and "Asian American" are both just plain vague. Just as there are a LOT of different countries and cultures that make up Asia, there are just as many, if not more, that make up Africa. And often it's not even accurate. I had a Black friend who couldn't stand being called African American because she was from Jamaica.

Agreed that sometimes the turn is just "archaic." BTW, good point on your Jamaican friend.
    I shall quench my thirst with the blood of my enemies!

Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OH the names from the past. Reminders of those we miss.Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    DemocraticWarrior is not a registered Political Action Committee, nor is it a registered Non-Profit Organization. Donations to DemocraticWarrior are not tax-deductible for federal income tax purposes.
    Click here to enlarge

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wliberty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,391 Times in 5,038 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow! Where are they now?
    Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2