Thread: Obama is pro marijuana legalization.

Thanks

Obama is pro marijuana legalization.

According to the NORML e-zine;

Presidential Candidate Barack Obama Backs Federal Decriminalization -- “I think the war on drugs has been a failure, and I think we need to rethink and decriminalize our marijuana laws.”

Washington, DC: A newly discovered video of a 2004 appearance at Northwestern University by Democratic presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama, in which he calls for the federal decriminalization of marijuana, was posted online today by The Washington Times. In that appearance, Obama states, "I think the war on drugs has been a failure, and I think we need to rethink and decriminalize our marijuana laws." Obama continued, saying that while he supported decriminalization, he did not support the full legalization of marijuana.

In contrast, Senator Obama appeared to oppose decriminalization in a 2007 Democratic primary debate when MSNBC moderator Tim Russert asked candidates who opposed then-candidate Senator Chris Dodd’s support of decriminalization to raise their hands. In the video, Senator Obama is seen hesitantly raising his hand halfway before quickly lowering it again.

When asked about the two different answers, Senator Obama’s campaign stated that he has "always" supported decriminalization, and that Obama misunderstood the question when he raised his hand in the debate. In that same statement, Obama’s campaign reiterated the Senator’s opposition to full legalization, but said that an Obama administration "will review drug sentences to see where we can be smarter on crime and reduce the blind and counterproductive sentencing of non-violent offenders."

"It appears Senator Obama, alone among the major candidates for the presidency, has the courage to state the obvious: it is time that we stopped treating responsible marijuana smokers like criminals," said NORML Executive Director Allen St. Pierre. "According to a recent CNN/Time Warner poll, 76% of the American people agree with Senator Obama, as well as the 48 million Americans who smoked marijuana last year."

Democratic rival Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton’s campaign stated that she opposes decriminalization. On the Republican side, Senator John McCain opposes decriminalization, while former Utah Governor Mitt Romney opposes both decriminalization and physician-recommended access to medical cannabis.

For more information, please contact NORML Executive Director Allen St. Pierre at (202) 483-5500. The Washington Times story, along with video of the two appearances referenced above, are available online at: http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/.../RSS_NATION_PO.
    I'd say another good reason to support him vigorously!
    "Oh, Freeptards are their own "special" sort of crazy. Distill all the paranoia of the John Birch Society, inform it with the skewed worldview of Rush Limbaugh, and then season with White Supremacism, Militia weapon fetishes, and garnish with that delightful tang of Inbreeding, and you have Freeperville." -Ben Burch (me)

"all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." - Declaration of Independence.

Click here to enlarge

Thanks

Re: Obama is pro marijuana legalization.

Um is he for legalization or restructuring sentencing. Those are two completely different things.

It is late and I am extremely tired so maybe I missed something. Maybe the Waffle House coffee will kick in soon.

SD

Thanks

Ben if he is for legalization of medical use of marijuana I am all for it. After caring for my mother who died from cancer, if marijuana would have helped her I would have gotten it for her if I knew where to get it. She suffered terribly from the treatments that she had to have. If marijuana would have helped ease her suffering I would have gone to prison to have eased her suffering.

SD if you have never had to take care of someone who is dying and marijuana would have helped ease their suffering you don't know what you would do. I could give her morphine for pain, but not marijuana for her constant nausea. I am for medicinal use of the drug only. Which is worse, morphine or marijuana? If a person is terminal and dying, what would make the difference anyway? The medical community try drugs on them as guinea pigs with terrible results. Marijuana has been proven to ease the terrible side affects of chemotherapy. I see nothing wrong with the medicinal use of the drug.

The problem is that you can grow it in your yard, and it couldn't be taxed, or controlled by the government. We can't have that you know!! AND big pharma wouldn't get their big bucks out of it! That is it in a nutshell!!!
    DemocraticWarrior is not a registered Political Action Committee, nor is it a registered Non-Profit Organization. Donations to DemocraticWarrior are not tax-deductible for federal income tax purposes.
    Click here to enlarge

Thanks

But you know, you can grow your own tobacco in your yard legally and it would not be taxed. That has never been an issue. The only thing there is an issue about is distilling your own liquor. (And I think it is time to end that little prohibition too.)

SD2006 - I'll try to get a more clear view on what they mean by decriminalization. If he means what we have here in illinois, six plants or less a misdemeanor, I still say its the path forward. (But that has not stopped prosecutors from trying to claim each SEED you have is a plant. No, really!)
    "Oh, Freeptards are their own "special" sort of crazy. Distill all the paranoia of the John Birch Society, inform it with the skewed worldview of Rush Limbaugh, and then season with White Supremacism, Militia weapon fetishes, and garnish with that delightful tang of Inbreeding, and you have Freeperville." -Ben Burch (me)

"all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." - Declaration of Independence.

Click here to enlarge

Democratic Warrior LittlePinky82's Avatar
    Thanks

Everything you said is so true. My grandfather died a few years ago from lung cancer and he was in so much pain. Click here to enlarge He was hyped on drugs a large part of the time to where he knew what was going on still. I felt so bad for him. People deserve to die or get better without so much pain etc.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Nanette Click here to enlarge
    Ben if he is for legalization of medical use of marijuana I am all for it. After caring for my mother who died from cancer, if marijuana would have helped her I would have gotten it for her if I knew where to get it. She suffered terribly from the treatments that she had to have. If marijuana would have helped ease her suffering I would have gone to prison to have eased her suffering.

SD if you have never had to take care of someone who is dying and marijuana would have helped ease their suffering you don't know what you would do. I could give her morphine for pain, but not marijuana for her constant nausea. I am for medicinal use of the drug only. Which is worse, morphine or marijuana? If a person is terminal and dying, what would make the difference anyway? The medical community try drugs on them as guinea pigs with terrible results. Marijuana has been proven to ease the terrible side affects of chemotherapy. I see nothing wrong with the medicinal use of the drug.

The problem is that you can grow it in your yard, and it couldn't be taxed, or controlled by the government. We can't have that you know!! AND big pharma wouldn't get their big bucks out of it! That is it in a nutshell!!!
    Click here to enlarge

DemocraticWarrior Battle Lord SubstituteTeacher's Avatar
    Thanks

The time for the decriminalzation of Marijuana is long overdue and Obama is right - the war on drugs is a complete and utter failure.
    DemocraticWarrior is not a registered Political Action Committee, nor is it a registered Non-Profit Organization. Donations to DemocraticWarrior are not tax-deductible for federal income tax purposes.
    Click here to enlarge