Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coyote Problems

DemocraticWarrior Battle Lord
    Thanks

Coyote Problems

Hey everyone,

I got a question for DW'ers living in the country. Remember when I told you that our puppy is afraid of the dark? It turns out that their is a pack of coyotes roamming around our sub. I saw one this morning as I was putting out the trash. It was standing by the driveway waitting for the garbage I guess.

Anyhow while the neighbors have called animal
    control and I put in a request for a fence, the coyotes are still too close for comfort. Does anyone in the know have any idea how I can handle this problem in a humane fashion? Like I said I wouldn't mind the coyotes comon on the property if it weren't for the fact that our bulldog is terrrified of them. Bruno wont go out unless there are two people walking with him.
    Thanks all, Danny.

Thanks

Re: Coyote Problems

yep they are a real problem they love to eat cats so i only let my kitty(pictured) out when i can supervise as i saw one of those suckers run my fenceline last month before i could get my varmint rifle-Sejanus-pss. sorry to y'all that don't believe in killing animals but you have obviously never dealt with coyotes or rabid skunks
    DemocraticWarrior is not a registered Political Action Committee, nor is it a registered Non-Profit Organization. Donations to DemocraticWarrior are not tax-deductible for federal income tax purposes.
    Click here to enlarge

Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sejanus Click here to enlarge
    yep they are a real problem they love to eat cats so i only let my kitty(pictured) out when i can supervise as i saw one of those suckers run my fenceline last month before i could get my varmint rifle-Sejanus-pss. sorry to y'all that don't believe in killing animals but you have obviously never dealt with coyotes or rabid skunks
    Well the real problem is two fold.

1: How do I get rid of the coyotes without hurting them
    2: How do I scare them off without scaring my dog?

I really don't blame the coyote's though. Man has intruded so much on their enviroment around here that they have no place to hunt or hide from us. They must be really hungry for me to be seeing them at all.

Thanks

No Boss they are getting bolder as they no longer fear man as they know that in towns they cannot be fired upon and most towns are easy pickings compared to having to spend 4 hours patiently trying to catch a rabbit or pheasant-my daddy told me that they hated the smell of humans so he used urine to mark territory to keep them off it-also there are coyote repellant your farm/seed store might have it but i don't know how it works-Sejanus
    DemocraticWarrior is not a registered Political Action Committee, nor is it a registered Non-Profit Organization. Donations to DemocraticWarrior are not tax-deductible for federal income tax purposes.
    Click here to enlarge

Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sejanus Click here to enlarge
    No Boss they are getting bolder as they no longer fear man as they know that in towns they cannot be fired upon and most towns are easy pickings compared to having to spend 4 hours patiently trying to catch a rabbit or pheasant-my daddy told me that they hated the smell of humans so he used urine to mark territory to keep them off it-also there are coyote repellant your farm/seed store might have it but i don't know how it works-Sejanus
    Thanks for mention of the repellent Sejanus. Ill look into it at farm and fleet. Thanks again.
    Btw I agree with you pets first their family :D Sometimes they are better than family.

DemocraticWarrior Battle Lord Icky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,373 Times in 2,731 Posts

I was going to suggest you mark the territory (exactly as Sejanus father would have) !!!

That's crazy enough it just might work! Besides, it gives you an excuse to pee in your yard! Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    A couple of years ago, a Republican committee staff director told me candidly (and proudly) what the method was to all this obstruction and disruption. Should Republicans succeed in obstructing the Senate from doing its job, it would further lower Congressís generic favorability rating among the American people. By sabotaging the reputation of an institution of government, the party that is programmatically against government would come out the relative winner.
    -Mike Lofgren, 28 years as a staffer on the Republican House and Senate budget and other committees, often dealing with national security and defense issues

Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Icky Click here to enlarge
    I was going to suggest you mark the territory (exactly as Sejanus father would have) !!!

That's crazy enough it just might work! Besides, it gives you an excuse to pee in your yard! Click here to enlarge
    Hmm so that's why Big Jerr does it. :P :D

Thanks
    Thanked 3,250 Times in 1,595 Posts

There's a moderate coyote problem where I am as well -- Yet another reason I'm trying to rescue cats.

Their usual prey is going to start to venture farther and farther from the woods around this time of year. That means that coyotes are going to venture farther and farther out. The biggest problem with coyotes is that they're smart as Hell. Like raccoons, they've learned to adapt to the human environment to the degree that they can thrive undetected. Remember that coyote that mysteriously appeared in Central Park? It took TWO DAYS for every single NYC wildlife official in the city to capture him.

Boss, if you can see a coyote in your frontyard, assume that your dog is not safe. I would definitely not let him out at all at night, not even in your backyard. DO NOT LEAVE PET FOOD OUTSIDE. Tell your neighbors that, too. Coyotes are smart enough to eat some of the food and lie in wait for pets to go outside for the rest. Same goes for water.
    Click here to enlarge

Thanks
    Thanked 3,268 Times in 2,155 Posts

Here's what I use for the raccoons. (Plus a BB pistol.)
    http://www.contech-inc.com/products/scarecrow/
    Click here to enlarge

Thanks

Loud noises. It may scare your dog too, but it may discourage the coyotes from coming back. Firecrackers or something a bit stronger. (We used to call them cherry bombs in the ol' horse n' buggy days) A little toss in the coyote's direction...

We used to have coyotes where I used to live which is one reason (out of many) that I never let my cats outside. Your dog is smart. Coyotes will prey on cats as well as small dogs, rabbits and rodents.
    ~Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.
    BARACK OBAMA, speech, Feb. 5, 2008~

Thanks
    Thanked 3,250 Times in 1,595 Posts

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Xena Click here to enlarge
    Neat!
    Click here to enlarge

Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Xena Click here to enlarge
    Hmm I'd just thought you'd yell do a couple of back flips and throw a chakram (from an impossible angle) at 'em. Thanks everyone for replying to this.

It's six thirty black as pitch and Bruno wont go out of the house as we speak. Better get the mop and amonia ready :D

Thanks

Dan, we never had a problem here with coyotes. I don't even think that they are native to this area, but our brilliant DNR introduced them into this area a few years back. We live in a rural area and now they are running packs and even killing dogs. I just wonder how long it will be before they turn on kids. If I see one my property it is history. They are getting out of hand here. They have no natural predators except maybe the black bear, and the bear doesn't scare me as badly as the coyote do.

My neighbor had a little dog and one night she heard an awful commotion in her yard, she could hear her little dog screaming, by they time she got up and got to the door the coyotes had ripped her little dog to shreds. They are nothing to play around with. That is why I said if I see one on my property it is one dead animal.
    Click here to enlarge

Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Icky Click here to enlarge

I actually heard a story (no idea where you might find the source), of a camper wanting to ward off coyote intruders to his campsite. So, he marked all around his campsite, and all around his tent.
    He woke up to the sound of coyotes pissing on his tent. They had come to reclaim the territory.
    You might want to look into this one before trying it.

Mine might be an urban legend though...
    hmmm... no pee emoticons?
    This is our time, to put our people back to work and open doors of opportunity for our kids; to restore prosperity and promote the cause of peace; to reclaim the American dream and reaffirm that fundamental truth, that, out of many, we are one; that while we breathe, we hope. And where we are met with cynicism and doubts and those who tell us that we can't, we will respond with that timeless creed that sums up the spirit of a people:

Yes, we can!

Barack Obama
    Victory Speech
    11-04-08

Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Snacks Click here to enlarge
    I actually heard a story (no idea where you might find the source), of a camper wanting to ward off coyote intruders to his campsite. So, he marked all around his campsite, and all around his tent.
    He woke up to the sound of coyotes pissing on his tent. They had come to reclaim the territory.
    You might want to look into this one before trying it.

Mine might be an urban legend though...
    hmmm... no pee emoticons?
    LOL.
    Well I got the repelleant on later on Big Jerr said he's coming over and well gladly pee in my yard. Glad we don't have a pool. Note Big Jerr will do anything for a mcrib.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast