Thread: Pope Francis Extends Priests’ Ability to Forgive Abortion

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation Pope Francis Extends Priests’ Ability to Forgive Abortion

VATICAN CITY — The Roman Catholic Church will allow priests throughout the world to grant absolution for abortion, the Vatican said on Monday, making permanent a policy that Pope Francis announced a year ago.

In a document marking the conclusion of the church’s yearlong Jubilee of Mercy, the pope extended a policy of allowing priests — and not only bishops — to grant forgiveness for abortion, which the church considers a sin. The announcement was a signal of the pope’s vision of a more welcoming, merciful and inclusive church.

While firmly restating his opposition to abortion as “a grave sin, since it puts an end to an innocent life,” the pope affirmed that “there is no sin that God’s mercy cannot reach and wipe away when it finds a repentant heart seeking to be reconciled with the Father.” The document, an apostolic letter, was signed on Sunday after a Mass denoting the end of the jubilee year. It was made public on Monday.

Pope Francis’ decision last year, at the start of the jubilee, followed in the footsteps of Pope John Paul II, who granted priests the same right during the previous holy year, in 2000.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/21/wo...ests.html?_r=0
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man’s enemies will be those of his own household."

Matthew 10:34 - 10:36

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BigJerr For This Useful Post:

Democratic Warrior dr.strangelove's Avatar
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The notion that some sin is worse thank others is just so insane to me. Had you murdered an infant, any priest could give you forgiveness, but because it was an abortion, it takes special rights for a regular priest to do this. Yet we keep giving these political organizations tax shelter. Its insane.
    Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr.strangelove For This Useful Post:

Democratic Warrior Crazy Guggenheim's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,905 Times in 2,992 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dr.strangelove Click here to enlarge
    The notion that some sin is worse thank others is just so insane to me. Had you murdered an infant, any priest could give you forgiveness, but because it was an abortion, it takes special rights for a regular priest to do this. Yet we keep giving these political organizations tax shelter. Its insane.
    Didn't realize that about Priests being able to absolve murder of an infant.
    I shall quench my thirst with the blood of my enemies!

Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Crazy Guggenheim Click here to enlarge
    Didn't realize that about Priests being able to absolve murder of an infant.
    A priest can absolve any sin unless the pope deems it one of the few that need a bishop to do it. Murder can be absolved by any priest. Its just more of the long term put down of women by the church.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dr.strangelove For This Useful Post:

Democratic Warrior SubstituteTeacher's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 835 Posts
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Not long ago divorced catholics were not allowed to have holy communion which was so ridiculous. But the church allowed Joe kennedy to have his first marriage annulled so he could remarry in the church. Talk about politics in the catholic church.
    DemocraticWarrior is not a registered Political Action Committee, nor is it a registered Non-Profit Organization. Donations to DemocraticWarrior are not tax-deductible for federal income tax purposes.
    Click here to enlarge

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SubstituteTeacher Click here to enlarge
    Not long ago divorced catholics were not allowed to have holy communion which was so ridiculous. But the church allowed Joe kennedy to have his first marriage annulled so he could remarry in the church. Talk about politics in the catholic church.
    I had not been to a catholic service in over 25 years, so I am a bit out of practice, but when my father passed and I went to the funeral mass, the priest said that although all are welcome to hear the lord's world, only roman catholics without sin are invited to receive communion. I understand the rule, but the way it was said seemed rude to me.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dr.strangelove For This Useful Post: