PDA

View Full Version : Westchester GOP Practically Broke

Kbob
08-15-2007, 08:55 AM
Okay, I'll admit that as far as news is concerned this is pretty local. Still, I had to share...

The cash-starved Westchester GOP (http://polhudson.lohudblogs.com/2007/07/17/the-cash-starved-westchester-gop/)

If it wasn’t bad enough that Democratic voter enrollment is soaring or that one of their most notable politicians (Assemblyman Mike Spano) just abandoned the party, the news on the financial front is also pretty grim for Westchester Republicans.

According to their the July 15th financial filing, the Westchester Republican Committee has a not-so-impressive cash balance of $613.97. And sadly, this figure is an improvement. The party started the year with a negative balance of $512.57.

The party’s dire financial condition is all but certain to cast a further shadow on the tenure of former Chairwoman RoseMarie Panio, who stepped down last month, and complicate matters for newly-elected Chairman Douglas Colety of New Rochelle.

It also means the Republican candidates running for office in Westchester this year will likely receive little support from the county organization – especially when it comes to raising money.

http://polhudson.lohudblogs.com/index.php?tag=doug-colety

The thing to bear in mind here is that Westchester County, NY where I live is pretty darn rich. We're just north of NYC and have been a bedroom community of the city for decades. The median income in a most of these towns ranges in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. I think Scarsdale's median income is over a million. PLUS, it's historically rightwing.

Rich and rightwing. And the county's GOP still only has a few hundred dollars in its coffers.

A sign, perhaps, of a growing trend?

*Tee-hee*

Trap
08-15-2007, 11:51 AM
Right on Kbob!

Westchester County is Uber-Wealth, elitist and arrogant. Yet, under Republican Rule the County has experienced HUGE tax increases, out of control bureaucracy, declining school rankings and out of control police.

Nice place to live, eh? (That's why I am now happily in Connecticut)

The Republican Control of Westchester rested on the tripod of the Spano Brothers and Pirro. With that tripod all but gone, they have nothing. The wealthy elites are not stupid. They are not supporting this broken wagon any longer.

The question remains: Will the Democratic Party be able to field enough intelligent, qualified and decent people to capitalize on this moment and make real gains on the County and Local level? So far, to me, it's not lookin that good. (No, I can't run because I no longer live there)

PS. Keep your eye on Mamaroneck. I might just file another lawsuit on those Repigs, again. That will be a major topic of discussion at that Lake over the weekend.

PPS. What the fuck, do we really have to let a low life scum like Mike Spano into the Democratic Party? Isn't there some kind of standards we as Democrats can invoke?

MoneyDrone
08-15-2007, 12:46 PM
According to their the July 15th financial filing, the Westchester Republican Committee has a not-so-impressive cash balance of $613.97. And sadly, this figure is an improvement. The party started the year with a negative balance of $512.57.

Kbob
08-16-2007, 09:36 AM
Right on Kbob!

Westchester County is Uber-Wealth, elitist and arrogant. Yet, under Republican Rule the County has experienced HUGE tax increases, out of control bureaucracy, declining school rankings and out of control police.

Nice place to live, eh? (That's why I am now happily in Connecticut)

The Republican Control of Westchester rested on the tripod of the Spano Brothers and Pirro. With that tripod all but gone, they have nothing. The wealthy elites are not stupid. They are not supporting this broken wagon any longer.

The question remains: Will the Democratic Party be able to field enough intelligent, qualified and decent people to capitalize on this moment and make real gains on the County and Local level? So far, to me, it's not lookin that good. (No, I can't run because I no longer live there)

PS. Keep your eye on Mamaroneck. I might just file another lawsuit on those Repigs, again. That will be a major topic of discussion at that Lake over the weekend.

PPS. What the fuck, do we really have to let a low life scum like Mike Spano into the Democratic Party? Isn't there some kind of standards we as Democrats can invoke?
Westchester is up to its armpits in Spanos. I confess that I don't know a whole lot about Mike Spano. But I cannot STAND Nick Spano. I grew up in NYC, and even there I never felt such a loathing for a single politician until I started receiving these bogus campaign mailings from his office under the guise of being official state department notices. Plus, his repeated acts of voter intimidation in Yonkers polling stations pissed me off completely. Nothing made me happier than when he finally lost his seat in Nov.

His replacement Andrea Stewart-Cousins seems pretty good, although she's been quiet. She fought hard as hell to win her election, and she deserved it.

Andy Spano seems like a good egg. I don't think he's actually related to the other two, and he's always been a Dem.

Interesting follow-up to my first post...

Westchester Dems got cash (http://polhudson.lohudblogs.com/2007/07/30/westchester-dems-got-cash/)

The July financial statement for the Westchester Democratic Committee is finally online at the state Board of Elections website. It shows that the party has a healthy fund balance of $86,691.95.

Aided by former President Bill Clinton’s appearance at a fundraising breakfast in February, the party took in more than $151,000 in contributions during the first six months of the year.

The party’s positive financial report is another plus for Westchester Democratic Chairman Reginald LaFayette and a stark change from previous years, when the party — led by David Alpert and later George Latimer — struggled to raise money and pay its bills.

It also puts the party far ahead of the Westchester GOP, which reported a fund balance of just over $600 after the first six months of the year.

http://polhudson.lohudblogs.com/index.php?tag=reginald-lafayette

Again... *Tee-Hee*

dr.strangelove
08-16-2007, 09:03 PM
Okay, I'll admit that as far as news is concerned this is pretty local. Still, I had to share...

http://polhudson.lohudblogs.com/index.php?tag=doug-colety (http://www.DemocraticWarrior.com/forum/redirector.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpolhudson.lohudblogs.com%2Findex.php%3Ftag%3Ddou g-colety)

The thing to bear in mind here is that Westchester County, NY where I live is pretty darn rich. We're just north of NYC and have been a bedroom community of the city for decades. The median income in a most of these towns ranges in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. I think Scarsdale's median income is over a million. PLUS, it's historically rightwing.

Rich and rightwing. And the county's GOP still only has a few hundred dollars in its coffers.

A sign, perhaps, of a growing trend?

*Tee-hee*
As a westchester resident, I know plenty of rich dems. Its downstate NY, its like 65% dem here. $$$ Income probably skews more to the right, but even a NY repub is a dem in most other parts of the country.

Trap
08-21-2007, 08:43 PM
Doc, wouldn't ya say most of Westchester residents are fed up with the Repugs and their mis-management, fear tactics and huge tax increases?

Will the rest of the USA be that far behind in seeing the 'light'?